Thursday, March 30, 2006

Spin and the Talking Points Memo

I'm tired of spin.

I'm a minor political junkie. That is to say, I know less than I want to, and not as much as I should, so I'm always listening... trying to learn more. I watch all the news channels, and the big broadcast TV networks on Sunday mornings. But, long ago, it reached the point to where I knew what was going to be said as soon as I saw the guest's face on the screen. It's been a good while since any of them surprised me with something they've said.

Whenever there's an event, a meeting, a catastrophe, or just an opportunity, out come the "spin doctors," putting their side's twist on things. I'm tired of spin doctors and their phony rhetoric. If I was ill, and really needed a doctor, I'd want someone who would be honest, and not sugar-coat it, or make it seem more bleak than it actually was. Just the truth, thank you... hold the spin.

Change the channel, and there's another face, spouting the same "talking points" from the memo sent to every spin doctor. It doesn't matter which side, or what the issue. They've memorized the responses, and they deliver them without even having the courtesy to put it into their own words. Often, the answer doesn't come close to being a response to the question... it was just one of the talking points, so let's get it out there.

They think we're stupid. They think we're sheep, and they can guide the flock back and forth across the pasture whenever it suits them. Well, there are sheep out there, but I think the flock is not as large as the shepherds imagine. And I think it's time we start to heed George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four warnings. After all, Big Brother is watching... now more than ever.

No comments: